Shattered Mubarak sons in `tears` after Mursi won
Cairo: While Egyptians of most creeds rejoiced over the results of the historic presidential election, there was shock and despair in a corner of Cairo`s Tora prison where the Mubarak brothers are lodged.
The imprisoned sons of ousted president Hosni Mubarak -- Gamal and Alaa -- who would have desperately hoped for an Ahmed Shafiq victory, were a shattered duo.
"Gamal and Alaa reacted with shock and tears at Sunday`s announcement that the Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohamed Mursi was Egypt`s new president," security sources were quoted as saying by the state news agency MENA.
Muhammed Mursi of Muslim Brotherhood was declared the winner of Egypt`s first free and fair elections yesterday, assuming the office Hosni Mubarak occupied for over 30 years.
The Muslim Brotherhood was at the receiving end of much of Mubarak`s crackdown on political dissent for 30 years. Ironically, Mursi himself spent time in prison under the Mubarak rule.
Shafiq, on the other hand, was Mubarak`s last prime minister and would have been much more sympathetic to the down in the dumps Mubarak family.
The two, who enjoyed significant powers during their father`s rule, are in Tora Prison awaiting trial for alleged corruption.
They have been charged for accumulating billions in illicit profits by violating capital market laws and unlawfully taking a majority stake in Al-Watany Bank through investment and private equity funds they controlled.
Mubarak, who was jailed for his role in the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that toppled him, was recently transferred from Tora Prison Hospital to Maadi Hospital after the 84-year-old`s health deteriorated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi