Shi`ite mosques demolished in Bahrain crackdown
Manama: A Bahraini cleric says authorities have demolished 30 Shi`ite mosques during their five-month-old crackdown on dissent in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom.
Seyyed Abdullah al-Ghoreifi says 30 Shi`ite mosques have been destroyed as part of the government`s campaign against the Shi`ite majority demanding greater freedoms and more rights.
Al-Ghoreifi spoke during a rally Saturday on the outskirts of the capital, Manama.
The demolitions are likely to further inflame sectarian tensions in the island kingdom, the home of the US Navy`s 5th Fleet.
Hundreds of protesters, activists and Shi`ite doctors and lawyers have been detained since February when protests began. Dozens have been convicted of anti-state crimes in a special security tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO