Shinzo Abe returns as Japan`s Prime Minister
Tokyo: Shinzo Abe, the leader of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), was elected Japan`s new prime minister in the lower house of parliament Wednesday.
Abe, who held the post from 2006 to 2007, will immediately unveil his new cabinet, reported Xinhua.
In the election, Abe got 328 votes from 478 valid votes in the 480-seat lower house.
The LDP and its coalition partner hold 325 seats in the more powerful lower house after winning a landslide victory in the Dec 16 election.
In the first round of election in the upper house, Abe failed to gain more than half of votes in the 242-seat chamber, but it will not obstruct Abe from becoming Japan`s new prime minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife