Shooter kills two at Brazil pre-Carnival party
Sao Paulo: Brazilian police are searching for a gunman who fired into a crowd at a pre-Carnival street party, killing two and wounding 10 other people.
Such violence is highly unusual before and during Carnival, which attracts hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors annually.
A police spokesman in the city of Novo Friburgo, about 130 kilometres northeast of Rio de Janeiro, says they don`t know the motive for the shooting and haven`t located the gunman.
A 43-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man were killed.
The shooting happened late yesterday at a popular neighbourhood gathering known as a "bloco" party.
While Carnival is still nearly a month away, each weekend leading up to the big bash sees hundreds of warm-up parties take to the streets across the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra