Shooting at Toronto barbecue party leaves 2 dead
Toronto: A teenage girl and a man in his early 20s were killed and 19 others, including a toddler, injured in an exchange of gunfire after an altercation broke out among some present at a large barbecue party here.
"This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It`s very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene in Scarborough.
"Tonight`s event is unprecedented. It`s going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada."
A teenage girl and a man believed to be in his early 20s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Blair said. Other victims suffered injuries from trampling.
A suspect was hospitalised and is in police custody, he said, adding police are still looking for other suspects.
Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue outside 193 Danzig St when gunfire broke out just before 11 pm yesterday, thestar.Com reported.
Police say the 21 victims, one a toddler under 3, were rushed to emergency rooms across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Texas mother fatally shoots 2 daughters; police kill her
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!