Shooting at US university leaves one dead
Chicago: A shooting on a US university campus left one person dead and a suspect in custody today in what police described as a targeted attack.
Police provided few details as to why the gunman opened fire in a classroom at Purdue University in the midwestern state of Indiana, however they said they believe he knew his victim.
"There`s a lot of investigation on hand," Purdue university police chief John Cox told reporters.
Police did not release the name of the male student who was killed or of the suspect who was swiftly arrested.
The university reported that the shooting took place in the electrical engineering building at noon today.
The sprawling campus in West Lafayette, Indiana serves nearly 40,000 students. Purdue employs more than 15,000 faculty and staff members.
"Today`s shooting at Purdue University is a tragedy, and our heartfelt condolences go out to the family of the victim and to everyone in the Purdue community," Indiana Governor Mike Pence said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth