Shooting of US embassy car accidental: Lawyer
Mexico City: The attorney for two of the Mexican federal police officers detained in the shooting of a US embassy vehicle that wounded two US government employees says his clients have formally declared that the incident was not an ambush but an accident occurring during the pursuit of suspected criminals.
Officials from both nations have said federal officers were chasing criminals on Friday on a highway south of Mexico City when bullets were fired at the embassy sport utility vehicle carrying the two employees and a Mexican Navy captain.
The US embassy characterised the incident as an "ambush”.
But Attorney Ricardo Monterroso Cisneros told a news agency on Sunday that "there was no ambush”.
Monterroso is attorney for Rafael Rivera Cordoba and Jorge Alberto Vargas Camacho, among a dozen federal police officers detained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’