Shooting outside Empire State Building in New York; 2 dead
New York: Two people including the gunman were killed and nine others were injured outside the iconic Empire State Building here on Friday in multiple shootings.
The shooting unfolded at about 9 am (local time), at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue, just beside the city`s iconic skyscraper and also known as a massive tourist attraction.
The gunman has been identified as Jeffrey Johnson, 53, who had worked as a designer of women`s accessories at apparel firm Hazan Imports for six years. He was laid off from his job a year ago when the company underwent downsizing.
"This is a terrible tragedy and there is no doubt the situation could have been more tragic but for the acts of heroism by the police officers," New York city Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was at the scene of the shooting, told reporters.
"New York city is the safest big city in the US but we are not immune to the national problem of gun violence," he said.
Bloomberg sought to assure New Yorkers that the incident "has nothing to do with terrorism and is a murder case".
The entire area has been cordoned off by police.
The situation is currently under control, New York police said.
The incident comes even as the country is recovering from a shooting massacre at a theatre in Aurora, Colorado where a gunman opened fire during a screening of the batman movie `the Dark Knight Rises` killing 12 people and injuring over 50.
Earlier this month, a gunman named Michael Wade Page had fired indiscriminately in a gurudwara in Wisconsin killing six members of the Sikh community and seriously wounding three others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali