Shootout at Houston Airport, gunman killed
Houston: Chaos broke out at the main airport of Houston when a man fired gunshots into the air with his assault rifle, before shooting himself to death.
The incident took place yesterday, when the suspect walking into the Terminal-B ticketing area of the Bush Intercontinental Airport, witnesses and law enforcement sources said.
Shortly after lunch time, the man started firing shots with his AR-15 rifle as he approached a security checkpoint.
He reportedly fired at least two shots before an air marshal fired at him, without injuring the gunman, after which he pulled out another gun and fatally shot himself.
"As he walked in he suddenly started shooting and every one got panic attack and started running helter-skelter," a traveler who witnessed the gunman shooting said.
"It seemed like quite a few shots. Everyone was scrambling, running left and right, turning tables up and hiding behind. Nobody knew what was happening. I couldn`t tell where the shots were coming from," he said.
All terminals and flights were locked down as a result of the shooting.
The Federal Aviation Administration reported that many flights bound for Bush Airport were held back at their departure airports.
The shooter was immediately rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police have not made public the man`s identity, though he is said to be around 30 years old.
"It is unclear if the unidentified man fatally shot himself or was killed by a Homeland Security agent who had confronted him," Houston police Captain Dwayne Ready said.
He said the agent confronted the gunman after the man fired one shot into the air and refused to drop his weapon.
The agent fired at the gunman at the same time as it appeared he was shooting himself, Ready said.
Officials say an autopsy of the gunman will be conducted today.
According to the airport officials, while the terminal continues to be closed, remaining of the services in the airport are normally functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic