Shootout at Houston Airport, gunman killed
Houston: Chaos broke out at the main airport of Houston when a man fired gunshots into the air with his assault rifle, before shooting himself to death.
The incident took place yesterday, when the suspect walking into the Terminal-B ticketing area of the Bush Intercontinental Airport, witnesses and law enforcement sources said.
Shortly after lunch time, the man started firing shots with his AR-15 rifle as he approached a security checkpoint.
He reportedly fired at least two shots before an air marshal fired at him, without injuring the gunman, after which he pulled out another gun and fatally shot himself.
"As he walked in he suddenly started shooting and every one got panic attack and started running helter-skelter," a traveler who witnessed the gunman shooting said.
"It seemed like quite a few shots. Everyone was scrambling, running left and right, turning tables up and hiding behind. Nobody knew what was happening. I couldn`t tell where the shots were coming from," he said.
All terminals and flights were locked down as a result of the shooting.
The Federal Aviation Administration reported that many flights bound for Bush Airport were held back at their departure airports.
The shooter was immediately rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police have not made public the man`s identity, though he is said to be around 30 years old.
"It is unclear if the unidentified man fatally shot himself or was killed by a Homeland Security agent who had confronted him," Houston police Captain Dwayne Ready said.
He said the agent confronted the gunman after the man fired one shot into the air and refused to drop his weapon.
The agent fired at the gunman at the same time as it appeared he was shooting himself, Ready said.
Officials say an autopsy of the gunman will be conducted today.
According to the airport officials, while the terminal continues to be closed, remaining of the services in the airport are normally functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'