Shootout at Houston Airport, gunman killed
Houston: Chaos broke out at the main airport of Houston when a man fired gunshots into the air with his assault rifle, before shooting himself to death.
The incident took place yesterday, when the suspect walking into the Terminal-B ticketing area of the Bush Intercontinental Airport, witnesses and law enforcement sources said.
Shortly after lunch time, the man started firing shots with his AR-15 rifle as he approached a security checkpoint.
He reportedly fired at least two shots before an air marshal fired at him, without injuring the gunman, after which he pulled out another gun and fatally shot himself.
"As he walked in he suddenly started shooting and every one got panic attack and started running helter-skelter," a traveler who witnessed the gunman shooting said.
"It seemed like quite a few shots. Everyone was scrambling, running left and right, turning tables up and hiding behind. Nobody knew what was happening. I couldn`t tell where the shots were coming from," he said.
All terminals and flights were locked down as a result of the shooting.
The Federal Aviation Administration reported that many flights bound for Bush Airport were held back at their departure airports.
The shooter was immediately rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police have not made public the man`s identity, though he is said to be around 30 years old.
"It is unclear if the unidentified man fatally shot himself or was killed by a Homeland Security agent who had confronted him," Houston police Captain Dwayne Ready said.
He said the agent confronted the gunman after the man fired one shot into the air and refused to drop his weapon.
The agent fired at the gunman at the same time as it appeared he was shooting himself, Ready said.
Officials say an autopsy of the gunman will be conducted today.
According to the airport officials, while the terminal continues to be closed, remaining of the services in the airport are normally functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble