Short skirts, high heels risk rape: Tory MP
London: Tory MP, Richard Graham, has come under fire for saying that women are putting themselves at risk of rape by wearing short skirts and high heels.
Graham`s comments sparked outrage among women`s groups, who insist that if a woman becomes a victim of rape it is not because of her dress style, reports the Daily Mail.
The MP for Gloucester said that although there is heavy police presence, life doesn`t give girls full protection from predators all the time; one has to look after herself.
He said it is not about the impact of a woman`s clothes on a potential predator- it is about whether the clothes she is wearing makes it harder to get away from a predator.
Graham`s comments come just days after actress Joanna Lumley said women should dress demurely to avoid being ``raped or robbed``.
A spokeswoman for Gloucestershire Rape Crisis Centre said rape was the crime, not drunkenness, and that the offence was ``stimulated by desire for power and to humiliate and degrade``. She added that rape has got nothing to do with how a woman is dressed or whether she is drunk.
Vivienne Hayes, of the Women`s Resource Centre said such comments frighteningly normalise victim-blaming. They reallocate blame from the perpetrator to the victim.
The problem is not female vulnerability but a macho culture, which produces the notion of male entitlement - a culture which consistently fails women through disbelief, victim-blaming and failure to investigate, she added.
Chief Inspector Richard Burge, of Gloucestershire Police, agreed being drunk could put people at risk. He said they would appeal to everyone not to drink so much as excessive alcohol can make them vulnerable.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list