Shot US lawmaker has no memory of event: Doctor
Washington: US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords has begun speaking in full sentences and walking with assistance, but does not remember being shot during a political event in January, doctors said on Friday.
"She is doing spectacularly well," Dong Kim, director of the neuroscience institute at TIRR Memorial Hermann rehabilitation hospital in Houston, Texas, told reporters at a news conference.
"She`s already starting to speak in full sentences when she wants," Kim continued. "For example she says `I`m tired, I want to go to bed,` just like that. We can really have a conversation with her at this point."
The Democratic lawmaker was shot once through the head during a shooting rampage that killed six people, including a federal judge and a nine-year-old girl, at an outdoor meeting she was hosting in Tuscon, Arizona.
Alleged gunman Jared Loughner has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
Giffords was transferred to the Houston hospital in late January.
"If you remember from where we were just six weeks ago, this is a tremendous amount of progress," Kim said on Friday. "Her speech is getting very good. She is starting to walk with assistance."
Kim said he does not anticipate any memory problems for Giffords as she continues her daily rehabilitation.
"She does not have memories of the event, which is normal," he said of the shooting. "We are not fully testing that yet, but her memory is going to be great."
Her husband, NASA astronaut Mark Kelly, has told her that she was shot, according to media reports.
Giffords has maintained a good attitude, Kim said, with no evidence of depression.
Kelly is the commander of the space shuttle Endeavour`s final mission, scheduled to launch April 19 at NASA`s Kennedy Space Centre at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Giffords is expected to attend the launch, according to NASA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof