Shots fired at residence of German ambassador in Athens
Athens: Unidentified attackers opened fire on the German ambassador`s residence in Athens with an assault rifle on Monday, but no one was hurt in the early morning attack, police said.
At least four shots hit the metal gate of the high-security residence, which lies on a busy street of a northern suburb, police said. Sixty spent bullet cases have been collected so far.
Anti-German sentiment has grown during Greece`s prolonged economic crisis, and many of those struggling with record unemployment and plummeting living standards blame Germany`s insistence on fiscal rigor for their economic woes.
Germany is the biggest single contributing nation to Greece`s 240-billion euro bailouts which have kept the country afloat since 2010 and saved it from bankruptcy.
The German ambassador`s residence was the target of an attack in 1999, when members of the now dismantled extremist group November 17 fired a rocket-propelled grenade that hit its roof.
Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras spoke to the German ambassador Wolfgang Dold, who was at home at the time of the incident, and Foreign Minister Evangelos Venizelos expressed his "outrage and outright condemnation" over the attack.
It was a "cowardly terrorist act clearly targeting Greece`s image abroad a few days before the start of the Greek presidency," Venizelos said, according to a statement from the Foreign Ministry.
With a reputation for being Europe`s problem child, Greece takes on the rotating European Union presidency for six months starting January 1, hoping to show how far it has come since it almost crashed out of the common currency bloc 18 months ago.
No one has claimed responsibility yet for the 3.40 am (0140 GMT) attack. A police official who spoke on condition of anonymity said at least two assailants on foot were involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation