Shroud of Turin goes on display amid new research
Vatican City: The Shroud of Turin has gone on display for a special TV appearance amid new research purporting to date the linen some say was Jesus` burial cloth to around the time of his death.
Pope Francis sent a special video message to the event in Turin`s cathedral, which coincided with Holy Saturday, when Catholics mark the period between Christ`s crucifixion on Good Friday and his resurrection on Easter Sunday.
The Vatican has tiptoed around just what the cloth is, calling it a powerful symbol of Christ`s suffering while making no claim about its authenticity.
Francis toed that line today, calling the cloth an "icon", not a relic. Many experts stand by carbon-dating of scraps of the cloth that date it to the 13th or 14th century.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know