Shutdown effect: NSA staff in US asked to go home
Washington: The US National Security Agency has sent some staffers home because of the government shutdown despite crucial security services being exempted from the shuttering of offices due to lack of funds.
Though the shutdown makes an exception for "national security", some employees of the NSA were surprised to get a letter on Tuesday that told them their jobs did not fall under that category, Forbes reported today.
In a memo sent to thousands of NSA staffers, the associate director of human resources noted that despite exceptions to the shutdown that include "activities required for national security, including the safety of human life or the protection of property," recipients of the letter were being sent home indefinitely.
"We very much regret the shutdown furlough and recognise the difficult financial implications of any furlough, no matter how limited its length," reads the unclassified letter.
"While everyone at the NSA provides vital services, because the duties you perform do not support `excerpted` functions, you will be placed in a furlough status effective 1 October 2013."
The report said it was not clear how many staffers had been furloughed. Among those sent home were staffers from the surveillance-focussed Signals Intelligence group, the security-focussed Information Assurance Division and the research division.
The NSA hasn`t officially stated the scope of the furlough, but the Hill has reported that as many as 70 per cent of civilian staffers have been put on indefinite leave.
The move by the NSA comes in the wake of questions being raised about the agency`s role by the US Congress and the media following revelations of its massive pervasive surveillance by former security contractor Edward Snowden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi