Siberian prisoners slash wrists over caste issue
Chelyabinsk (Russia): At least 82 prisoners from a Chelyabinsk penal colony slashed their wrists in protest as they were forced to eat from plates earlier used by other inmates belonging to a "lower caste", regional human rights ombudsman Alexei Sevastyanov said Wednesday.
Chelyabinsk, the administrative center of Chelyabinsk Oblast, is located in the northwestern side of the oblast, 210 km south of Yekaterinburg city.
The prisoners injured themselves on Monday.
Sevastyanov later arrived at the colony along with a public monitoring commission.
"All of the prisoners eat in one dining hall. After having their meal, they hand in their plates to be washed. Some of the prisoners do not like the fact that they have to eat from plates used earlier by inmates belonging to a `lower caste.` This is total nonsense," Sevastyanov commented.
He emphasised that he does not consider this a violation of human rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof