Sienna Miller testifies at UK phone-hacking trial
London: Actress Sienna Miller said on Friday that she had a "brief encounter" with James Bond star Daniel Craig, but insisted a British tabloid misconstrued the nature of the relationship based on a hacked voicemail message.
Miller told Britain`s phone-hacking trial that she probably did leave a message for Craig that ended "I love you”. But she said she always signed off to family and friends that way.
"The thing that`s been slightly misconstrued about this voicemail message is the fact that I said I love you and that this was some incredibly important declaration of love," Miller said.
"I had always ended my phone calls to Daniel `I love you`; it was a declaration of friendship."
Miller testified by video link to the London court from New Orleans at the trial of two former News of the World editors, and five others, over phone hacking and other wrongdoing at the now-defunct tabloid.
The defendants deny a variety of charges, including phone hacking, bribery and obstructing a police investigation.
In recent days the trial has focused on evidence from Dan Evans, a former reporter who says he hacked Craig`s phone and used the "I love you" message as the basis of 2005 stories about an affair between Craig and Miller. She was then dating actor Jude Law, while Craig was in a relationship with film producer Satsuki Mitchell.
Evans has pleaded guilty to phone hacking, and says top editors were aware of his actions. Defence lawyers have questioned his credibility as a witness, suggesting the affair story could have come from sources other than phone hacking, such as associates of Miller and Law.
Miller, 32, said Evans` description of her voicemail for Craig rang true, and she could see why it would have caused excitement among journalists who heard it.
Miller, who sat beside an FBI agent as she gave evidence from the United States, said she had "absolutely never" courted media attention and regretted that her relationship with Craig her co-star in the 2004 movie "Layer Cake" had been turned into "a titillating piece of information" for the press.
"Whether or not I was in a relationship with Daniel Craig at the time, it was a very brief encounter," she said. "He was my best friend. My saying `I love you` was nothing new."
After Miller finished her evidence, judge John Saunders thanked her and said: "I am very sorry what has gone on in this court and reported in the press has caused you distress."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?