Sierra Leone charges 29 with defrauding Gates Fund
Freetown: The head of Sierra Leone`s Anti-Corruption Commission says that 29 government health officials will appear in court on corruption charges for having allegedly defrauded the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation`s vaccine program.
Joseph Fitzgerald Kamara told The Associated Press that the government`s Chief Medical Officer, Doctor Kisito Sheku Daoh, six other medical doctors and 22 health officials are charged with defrauding the Gates Foundation`s Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation Fund of USD 523,000.
He said all those charged are out on bail and scheduled to appear in court on March 18.
The Gates Foundation`s immunisation fund has suspended payments of USD 6 million to Sierra Leone over the allegations of misuse of funds. The immunisation fund has disbursed more than USD 27 million to Sierra Leone since 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read