Sikh community in US seeks gun-control measures
Washington: A Sikh group has urged communities of all faiths to observe Feb 5, marking six months of the Aug 5 shooting at a Sikh gurdwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, with a call to lawmakers to pass gun control measures.
Appealing to all the Sikh gurdwaras to observe Sunday as `ardas diwas`, a prayer day, the Washington based Sikh Council on Religion and Education (SCORE) asked Sikhs to also call members of US Congress to tell them that gun violence prevention laws work.
The suggested steps include: requiring universal background checks for all gun purchases; banning semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity magazines; making gun trafficking a federal crime; and improving access to mental health services.
SCORE Chairman Rajwant Singh also asked gurdwaras to stress to Sikh community members the importance of speaking out and to ask congregants to contact their representatives to support gun control measures.
Amardeep Kaleka, son of slain Oak Creek Gurdwara president, Raghuvinder Singh, grandson of Punjab Singh, who is recovering from the gun wounds sustained in Oak Creek, Rana Sodhi, brother of Balbir Singh Sodhi who was killed after 9/11 in Arizona, also joined in appealing to Sikhs across the US to work for gun control measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price