Sikh killed in mishap was not wearing helmet, inquest hears
London: A Sikh man in the British county of Yorkshire, who died last year after his bike hit a car, was not wearing a helmet because of his religious beliefs, an inquest heard.
The Coroner’s Court in Kirklees heard that 23-year-old Kulraj Singh Kalsi`s 125cc motorbike struck a Volkswagen Caddy van, which was taking a turn into a complex on Thornhill Road in Dewsbury April 27 last year, The Examiner reported Thursday.
Kalsi suffered a serious head injury after hitting a concrete post encased in metal, the court heard.
An eyewitness told the inquest that Kalsi and his bike went ‘airborne’ after the collision with the van.
The inquest also heard that Kalsi’s vision may have been affected by wind and drizzle as he was not wearing a helmet or visor.
Sikhs are exempted from wearing the helmet.
Kalsi, who had been riding close to the kerb, may have been attempting to overtake the van - or had simply failed to see it slow down, indicate a turn or then turn into the complex, the court heard.
Coroner Mary Burke concluded that Kalsi had died as a result of the road accident.
“There’s no evidence that suggests Kulraj was slowing down as the vehicle was beginning its manoeuvre and it’s not possible to say why he was in the position he was,” Burke was quoted as saying.
Burke also added that Kalsi, who was suffering from epilepsy, might have suffered a seizure before the crash.
“It may be that Kulraj became unwell and he suffered from some health issues that prevented him from slowing down,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog