Sikh man in critical condition after being hit by pickup truck in US
New York: A 29-year old Sikh man is in critical condition after he was hit by a pickup truck here and dragged nearly 30 feet following an argument between him and the driver who allegedly hurled racist slur at him and his friend.
Sandeep Singh, father of two, was with his friend Baldey Singh when he was hit by a pickup truck late Tuesday night. Sandeep is in critical condition at the hospital.
Rights group Sikh Coalition has called for a hate crime investigation into the incident.
Baldey told ABC News that the two men had just finished dinner at a restaurant and were standing on the street when the driver of the truck pulled up near them.
Baldey said the driver yelled a racial slur at him and his friends. Sandeep, annoyed at the driver, hit the truck with his hand. The driver pulled forward, stopped, and got out of the vehicle, holding something in his hand. Baldey recalls that they became "concerned, afraid, and felt threatened" by the driver`s behaviour.
The two men and the driver got into an argument following which the driver got back in his truck. However, Sandeep wanted the man to stop and call the police. Sandeep then stepped in front of the pickup truck when the driver started his truck and ran over him.
The report said Sandeep was dragged roughly 30 feet down the street and his body finally came loose from the truck, which kept on going.
Footage from the survellaince camera on the street showed the men getting into an argument and then a few minutes Sandeep trying to stop the pick-up truck from fleeing the scene. He is then seeing being hit by the truck and dragged some distance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ
- Monsanto case: CCI rejects pleas seeking review of probe order
- Man who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan in 1981 to be freed
- One of 9 militants killed in Dhaka raid is 'missing' varsity student