Sikh shot at in US in suspected hate crime
Washington: A Sikh man has been admitted to a hospital after being shot at several times by some unidentified attackers in the US state of Florida.
The victim Kanwaljit Singh, 46, was attacked by the truck-borne assailants near Daytona Beach last Saturday night.
Accompanied by his son who managed to escape unhurt, Kanwaljit received multiple injuries in his thigh and torso and is currently undergoing treatment at a local hospital.
"Although no clear motive (behind the attack) has been established, initial indications are this shooting was not a random act. There was no previous confrontation between occupants of either vehicle," Wayne Miller, Port Orange`s Assistant Chief of Police was quoted as saying by local daily Daytona Beach News Journal.
Meanwhile, the authorities said yesterday that the incident of shooting will be probed by the agencies as a hate crime.
Condemning the act, the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF) and Sikh Coalition called on the law enforcement officials and requested them to conduct a thorough probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital