Sikh shot at in US in suspected hate crime
Washington: A Sikh man has been admitted to a hospital after being shot at several times by some unidentified attackers in the US state of Florida.
The victim Kanwaljit Singh, 46, was attacked by the truck-borne assailants near Daytona Beach last Saturday night.
Accompanied by his son who managed to escape unhurt, Kanwaljit received multiple injuries in his thigh and torso and is currently undergoing treatment at a local hospital.
"Although no clear motive (behind the attack) has been established, initial indications are this shooting was not a random act. There was no previous confrontation between occupants of either vehicle," Wayne Miller, Port Orange`s Assistant Chief of Police was quoted as saying by local daily Daytona Beach News Journal.
Meanwhile, the authorities said yesterday that the incident of shooting will be probed by the agencies as a hate crime.
Condemning the act, the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF) and Sikh Coalition called on the law enforcement officials and requested them to conduct a thorough probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September