Sikhs in Minnesota allowed turbans in driving license photos
Washington: A Sikh-American in the US won a major legal victory for the community when he was allowed by authorities in Minnesota to retain his turban in the driving license identification photograph.
The victory came when Jatinder Singh, a resident of Blaine in Minnesota and SALDEF (Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund) succeeded in challenging Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services` (DVS) driver`s license policy.
Last month, Singh was told his turban was not allowed in his driver`s license photo, effectively barring him from renewing his license.
Taking up the case, SALDEF argued against DVS`s explicit policy on religious accommodation.
DVS Director Patricia McCormick apologised for the incident.
"As a result of your letter and the agent`s actions, the department is working to remind agents and driver`s license examination staff of the process for renewals specifically related to accommodating the Sikh turban," she said.
"We commend Director McCormack and the Minnesota DVS for quickly correcting this problem so Jatinder Singh could get his driver`s license," said Jasjit Singh, executive director of SALDEF.
"We also commend Jatinder Singh for identifying an opportunity to make change, for the benefit of Sikh Americans in Minnesota and elsewhere, who now see a shining example of a fair policy properly enforced," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog