Sikhs participate in Iftar at Dubai mosque
Dubai: Around 150 Sikhs attended an iftar feast at a mosque in Dubai, joining Muslims in breaking their fast during the month of Ramadan in the Gulf country.
"The purpose of organising the iftar was to reach out to people from different faiths and help them learn more about the holy month of Ramadan," said Ahmed Hashim, one of the organisers of the iftar get-together.
The Sikhs from Guru Nanak Darbar, a Gurudwara in Dubai, were invited to visit the Al Manar Islamic Centre on Friday to attend the iftar party, Khaleej Times reported.
"Most people who came for the get-together went back with fewer misunderstandings. We plan to visit Gurudwara, temples and churches and we have also been given a chance by church committees to speak after the weekly mass," Ahmed said.
"It was a unique experience for me and it was a great learning experience. Having a dialogue and knowing the goodness in every human being is the biggest benefit of such inter-faith dialogues," said Surender Singh Kandhari, one of the Sikhs who attended the iftar party.
Muslims wake up early morning for the pre-dawn `sehri` meal renouncing food and water during the day before breaking their fasts in the evening. The month-long fasting culminates in the Id-ul-Fitr celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray