Silver penny for British babies sharing royal birthday
London: Babies born in Britain on the same day as Prince William and Kate Middleton`s first child this month will receive a royal gift -- a "lucky" silver penny.
The Royal Mint on Thursday said it has minted 2,013 commemorative coins to give to babies who share a birthday with the third in line to the British throne.
Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge hopes to be present for the birth, expected in mid-July, if his Royal Air Force duties allow.
The 1p silver coin has been stamped with the year 2013 and is worth 28 pounds.
The penny, which will be presented in a pink or blue pouch, features a shield of the Royal Arms, which can be seen in its entirety on the 1 pound coin.
Designer Matthew Dent chose the Royal Arms shield because it was in keeping with "the basis of coinage design in Britain for hundreds of years".
"The birth of the royal baby will be a joyous occasion not just for Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge but also for the whole nation, as we prepare to celebrate another remarkable milestone in their life journey together," Shane Bissett, director of commemorative coins at the Royal Mint, said.
"However, it will also be a special day for many mothers and fathers across the country as they too welcome the arrival of their new baby, hence why we wanted to extend this historical moment to them with a lucky silver penny," Bissett was quoted as saying by the BBC.
According to traditional folklore, crossing the palm of a new born baby with silver or offering them a silver penny is a way of wishing them a wealthy and healthy life.
The commemorative penny follows special coins released by the Royal Mint for the Royal couple`s engagement and wedding in 2011.
Parents of newborns who share their birthday with the Royal baby will need to apply online for one of the coins by visiting Facebook.Com/theroyalmint.
They will have 60 days to register for the coin from the birth date, and have to provide a copy of their child`s birth certificate to qualify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?