Silvio Berlusconi to opt for community service
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Convicted in tax fraud, Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has formally appealed to either perform community service for a year rather than be jailed or to be put under house arrest.
While Berlusconi can only suggest the place where he would like to work, the final decision will be of the court.
The septuagenarian was sentenced to four years of imprisonment in August which was later commuted to one for masterminding a massive tax fraud scheme at his Mediaset television empire.
Considering his age, he may not have to go to prison and can make a choice.
The controversial leader may soon be engaged in serving old age homes, NGOs or supermarkets. Though he had earlier been reluctant to perform community services, he has been advised by experts that the option will give him the most freedom to move.
Berlusconi has throughout maintained to be innocence in the tax fraud case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- World number two Jordan Spieth still uncertain if he will play in Rio Olympics
- JD(U) questions Amit Shah's credentials for criticizing Jawaharlal Nehru over Kashmir's issues
- Ruias plan to sell another 25% stake in Essar Oil
- Microsoft CEO Nadella's debut book to come out in 2017
- Urvashi Rautela gives 'Resham Ka Rumaal' a sexy twist in 'Great Grand Masti' – Watch here