Silvio Berlusconi to opt for community service
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Convicted in tax fraud, Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has formally appealed to either perform community service for a year rather than be jailed or to be put under house arrest.
While Berlusconi can only suggest the place where he would like to work, the final decision will be of the court.
The septuagenarian was sentenced to four years of imprisonment in August which was later commuted to one for masterminding a massive tax fraud scheme at his Mediaset television empire.
Considering his age, he may not have to go to prison and can make a choice.
The controversial leader may soon be engaged in serving old age homes, NGOs or supermarkets. Though he had earlier been reluctant to perform community services, he has been advised by experts that the option will give him the most freedom to move.
Berlusconi has throughout maintained to be innocence in the tax fraud case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof