Silvio Berlusconi to opt for community service
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Convicted in tax fraud, Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has formally appealed to either perform community service for a year rather than be jailed or to be put under house arrest.
While Berlusconi can only suggest the place where he would like to work, the final decision will be of the court.
The septuagenarian was sentenced to four years of imprisonment in August which was later commuted to one for masterminding a massive tax fraud scheme at his Mediaset television empire.
Considering his age, he may not have to go to prison and can make a choice.
The controversial leader may soon be engaged in serving old age homes, NGOs or supermarkets. Though he had earlier been reluctant to perform community services, he has been advised by experts that the option will give him the most freedom to move.
Berlusconi has throughout maintained to be innocence in the tax fraud case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police