Silvio Berlusconi to opt for community service
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Convicted in tax fraud, Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has formally appealed to either perform community service for a year rather than be jailed or to be put under house arrest.
While Berlusconi can only suggest the place where he would like to work, the final decision will be of the court.
The septuagenarian was sentenced to four years of imprisonment in August which was later commuted to one for masterminding a massive tax fraud scheme at his Mediaset television empire.
Considering his age, he may not have to go to prison and can make a choice.
The controversial leader may soon be engaged in serving old age homes, NGOs or supermarkets. Though he had earlier been reluctant to perform community services, he has been advised by experts that the option will give him the most freedom to move.
Berlusconi has throughout maintained to be innocence in the tax fraud case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert