Singapore FM to visit New Delhi for Nalanda varsity meet
Singapore: Singapore`s Minister for
Foreign Affairs George Yeo will visit New Delhi on Sunday to
participate in a key meeting to operationalise the ancient
Nalanda University in Gaya.
During the working five-day visit to participate in
the 6th meeting of the Nalanda Mentor Group (NMG), set up by
the Indian government to help to conceptualise the revival of
the Nalanda University in Bihar, Yeo will also meet his
counterpart S M Krishna and other top leaders.
The NMG is scheduled to call on Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, the Ministry said today.
The ancient University, established about 5th century
AD or earlier, was pre-eminent for over seven centuries, and
at its peak, hosted some 10,000 students from all over the
The NMG is chaired by Nobel Laureate Professor Amartya
Sen of Harvard University and comprises eminent individuals
from government and academia. Yeo is also member of the NMG in
his personal capacity.
The inaugural NMG meeting was held in Singapore in
July 2007 while the fifth and previous meeting was held in
Bodh Gaya, Bihar, in February 2009.
The New Delhi meeting would discuss the implementation
framework and operations of the proposed Nalanda University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking