Singapore FM to visit New Delhi for Nalanda varsity meet
Singapore: Singapore`s Minister for
Foreign Affairs George Yeo will visit New Delhi on Sunday to
participate in a key meeting to operationalise the ancient
Nalanda University in Gaya.
During the working five-day visit to participate in
the 6th meeting of the Nalanda Mentor Group (NMG), set up by
the Indian government to help to conceptualise the revival of
the Nalanda University in Bihar, Yeo will also meet his
counterpart S M Krishna and other top leaders.
The NMG is scheduled to call on Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, the Ministry said today.
The ancient University, established about 5th century
AD or earlier, was pre-eminent for over seven centuries, and
at its peak, hosted some 10,000 students from all over the
The NMG is chaired by Nobel Laureate Professor Amartya
Sen of Harvard University and comprises eminent individuals
from government and academia. Yeo is also member of the NMG in
his personal capacity.
The inaugural NMG meeting was held in Singapore in
July 2007 while the fifth and previous meeting was held in
Bodh Gaya, Bihar, in February 2009.
The New Delhi meeting would discuss the implementation
framework and operations of the proposed Nalanda University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’