Singapore: A Singaporean man has been fined SGD 5,000 by a court for posting fabricated news on Facebook claiming that five security officials had died in Singapore`s worst violence in 40 years, local media reported on Friday.
Desmond Lum Mun Hui has admitted spreading false news that three police and two civil defence officers were killed, a day after last year`s riot, in his post that read, "Yesterday riot cause 3 spf (Singapore Police Force) and 2 cd (Civil Defence) dead..." on his Facebook account at his home.
The riot in Little India precinct was Singapore`s worst street violence in 40 years and left?54 responding officers injured and 23 emergency vehicles damaged.
Someone who read Lum`s Facebook post filed a police report, according to the Straits Times.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Jason Nim told the court that Lum had been reading about the preceding night`s events and noted the large number of posts about it when he decided to fabricate and submit one of his own.
"The offending conduct in this case consists of a transmission of a fabricated message out of a misguided and immature desire to attract attention on a social media platform. The offender was most reckless as to the potential mischievous consequences," said Nim.
Some 400 South Asian workers, mostly Indians, were allegedly involved in the riot on the night of December 8, 2013 in the Little India area when an Indian worker was killed in a road accident.