Singapore minister lauds contribution of Sikh community
Singapore: Singapore Foreign Minister
George Yeo on Sunday hailed the contribution of the Sikh community
in the development of the city state`s multi-ethnic society.
"Singapore is not Singapore without its vibrant Sikh
community and its Khalsa spirit," said Yeo while applauding
the community which is celebrating annual Vesakhi Mela today.
"Together with other ethnic and religious groups,
including Parsees and the Jews, the Sikh community has
contributed to the well-being and richness of Singaporeans
across all sectors and in all walks of life," he said in a
message to the community.
Yeo was guest of honour at the Vesakhi Mela this year.
Golf, Hockey and Kabadi were among the sports played
at the Mela while Indian dances including bhangra were
included in the cultural events.
Singapore`s 15,000-strong Sikh community hosts the
Vesakhi Mela every year to promote Punjabi sports and culture
within the multi-ethnic city state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj