Singapore minister lauds contribution of Sikh community
Singapore: Singapore Foreign Minister
George Yeo on Sunday hailed the contribution of the Sikh community
in the development of the city state`s multi-ethnic society.
"Singapore is not Singapore without its vibrant Sikh
community and its Khalsa spirit," said Yeo while applauding
the community which is celebrating annual Vesakhi Mela today.
"Together with other ethnic and religious groups,
including Parsees and the Jews, the Sikh community has
contributed to the well-being and richness of Singaporeans
across all sectors and in all walks of life," he said in a
message to the community.
Yeo was guest of honour at the Vesakhi Mela this year.
Golf, Hockey and Kabadi were among the sports played
at the Mela while Indian dances including bhangra were
included in the cultural events.
Singapore`s 15,000-strong Sikh community hosts the
Vesakhi Mela every year to promote Punjabi sports and culture
within the multi-ethnic city state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman