Singapore minister lauds contribution of Sikh community
Singapore: Singapore Foreign Minister
George Yeo on Sunday hailed the contribution of the Sikh community
in the development of the city state`s multi-ethnic society.
"Singapore is not Singapore without its vibrant Sikh
community and its Khalsa spirit," said Yeo while applauding
the community which is celebrating annual Vesakhi Mela today.
"Together with other ethnic and religious groups,
including Parsees and the Jews, the Sikh community has
contributed to the well-being and richness of Singaporeans
across all sectors and in all walks of life," he said in a
message to the community.
Yeo was guest of honour at the Vesakhi Mela this year.
Golf, Hockey and Kabadi were among the sports played
at the Mela while Indian dances including bhangra were
included in the cultural events.
Singapore`s 15,000-strong Sikh community hosts the
Vesakhi Mela every year to promote Punjabi sports and culture
within the multi-ethnic city state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP