Singapore minister lauds contribution of Sikh community
Singapore: Singapore Foreign Minister
George Yeo on Sunday hailed the contribution of the Sikh community
in the development of the city state`s multi-ethnic society.
"Singapore is not Singapore without its vibrant Sikh
community and its Khalsa spirit," said Yeo while applauding
the community which is celebrating annual Vesakhi Mela today.
"Together with other ethnic and religious groups,
including Parsees and the Jews, the Sikh community has
contributed to the well-being and richness of Singaporeans
across all sectors and in all walks of life," he said in a
message to the community.
Yeo was guest of honour at the Vesakhi Mela this year.
Golf, Hockey and Kabadi were among the sports played
at the Mela while Indian dances including bhangra were
included in the cultural events.
Singapore`s 15,000-strong Sikh community hosts the
Vesakhi Mela every year to promote Punjabi sports and culture
within the multi-ethnic city state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins