Singapore minister lauds contribution of Sikh community
Singapore: Singapore Foreign Minister
George Yeo on Sunday hailed the contribution of the Sikh community
in the development of the city state`s multi-ethnic society.
"Singapore is not Singapore without its vibrant Sikh
community and its Khalsa spirit," said Yeo while applauding
the community which is celebrating annual Vesakhi Mela today.
"Together with other ethnic and religious groups,
including Parsees and the Jews, the Sikh community has
contributed to the well-being and richness of Singaporeans
across all sectors and in all walks of life," he said in a
message to the community.
Yeo was guest of honour at the Vesakhi Mela this year.
Golf, Hockey and Kabadi were among the sports played
at the Mela while Indian dances including bhangra were
included in the cultural events.
Singapore`s 15,000-strong Sikh community hosts the
Vesakhi Mela every year to promote Punjabi sports and culture
within the multi-ethnic city state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad