Singapore PM to meet Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama will meet Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong today in the White House where two leaders are expected to discuss broad range of strategic and economic issues affecting the Asia-Pacific region.
"The President looks forward to discussing with Prime Minister Lee a broad range of strategic and economic issues affecting the Asia-Pacific region," the White House said on the eve of the crucial meeting between the two leaders.
"The United States and Singapore have strong economic and security ties, and our strategic partnership reflects a shared commitment to working together to ensure the continued peace, stability and prosperity of the Asia-Pacific region," the White House said.
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel hosted lunch for the visiting foreign dignitary at the Pentagon.
"The meeting was an opportunity for Secretary Hagel to hear the Prime Minister`s views on regional security issues including how nations can work with one another to peacefully resolve territorial issues in the East and South China Seas," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said after the meeting.
Hagel thanked Lee for Singapore`s strong ties of friendship and close collaboration on a number of shared interests including Afghanistan, counter-piracy and counter-proliferation efforts, he said.
"The secretary thanked the Prime Minister for hosting up to four forward-deployed Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) on a rotational basis in Singapore. The first of these ships, the USS Freedom, is currently en route to Singapore and will arrive later this month," he added.
During the meeting, Hagel made clear the US and the Department of Defence remain committed to the rebalance towards the Asia-Pacific region and that in the future there will be even more opportunities for closer collaboration between the United States and Singapore, Little said.
Hagel also accepted an invitation from Lee to travel to Singapore for the Shangri-La dialogue next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared