Singapore police officer faces double-murder charge
Singapore: A Singaporean policeman, once portrayed as a model officer, was on Monday charged in a court here for a gruesome double-murder of an elderly businessman and his son.
Senior Staff Sergeant Iskandar Rahmat, 34, was accused of killing car workshop owner Tan Boon Sin, 67, and his son Tan Chee Heong, 42, last Wednesday.
Tan was found fatally slashed at his home, while his son`s body was dragged under one of the family`s cars for nearly a kilometre, leaving a trail of blood on a busy road in the suburban town of Kovan.
Iskandar, once portrayed as a model officer on the Singapore Police Force website, abandoned the car and fled to Malaysia by scooter, but was quickly arrested from the southern state of Johor Bahru and was repatriated to the city-state.
Iskandar, a married 14-year veteran of the force, was bankrupt and under an official investigation for failing to report his personal financial problems to his superiors. He was banned from carrying firearms while under investigation.
There was no immediate indication of a motive for the murders but local reports said that Iskandar had attended to a theft complaint filed by the elder Tan in November last year, after which the sergeant was reassigned to another position.
"Our police force and every policeman and policewoman is tarred by the actions of this single officer," Police Commissioner Ng Joo Hee said in a statement.
"We have now captured officer Iskandar and we will prosecute him to the maximum extent. He is a murder suspect and will eventually receive just deserts for the heinous crime that he is accused of committing," the police chief added.
Iskandar next court appearance is on July 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened