Sisi to be sworn in as Egypt president Sunday
Cairo: Former army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who ousted Egypt`s first freely-elected leader, will be sworn in as president on Sunday after he overwhelmingly won last week`s election, state media reported.
The electoral commission yesterday said Sisi won 96.91 per cent of the vote with a turnout of 47.5 per cent, nearly one year after he overthrew Islamist Mohamed Morsi.
His crushing victory over sole rival, leftist leader Hamdeen Sabbahi, had never been in doubt, with many lauding the retired field marshal as a hero for ending Morsi`s year of divisive rule 11 months ago.
Sisi will be sworn in on Sunday before the general assembly of the Supreme Constitutional Court, state news agency MENA reported today, quoting Maher Sami, deputy head of the court.
The swearing-in ceremony will be attended by interim president Adly Mansour, prime minister Ibrahim Mahlab and his cabinet, Grand Imam Ahmed al-Tayeb of Egypt`s key Muslim institution, Al-Azhar, Coptic Pope Tawadros II, and other political and public figures, MENA said.
The ceremony will be followed by a reception to be attended by kings and heads of states in Cairo`s Ittihadiya palace, it said.
A second reception will be held at the capital`s Kubba palace to be attended by around 1,000 guests from several political groups, MENA added.
The three-day presidential election was boycotted by Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood and several youth groups of the 2011 popular uprising, after both were targeted in a campaign to suppress dissent.
Since Morsi`s ouster in July last year, a brutal police crackdown on his supporters has left more than 1,400 people killed and over 15,000 jailed.
Hundreds have also been sentenced to death after speedy trials, triggering international outrage.
Sisi has said that for him, "national security" takes precedence over democratic freedoms, comments that have sparked concerns of a return to autocracy in Egypt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory