Sister accidentally suffocates two-month-old to death in US

In a tragic incident, a two-month-old US baby was accidentally suffocated to death when her elder sister rolled on top of the tot in her sleep.

PTI| Last Updated: Oct 14, 2013, 17:42 PM IST

New York: In a tragic incident, a two-month-old US baby was accidentally suffocated to death when her elder sister rolled on top of the tot in her sleep.
The 11-year-old girl was trying to calm the crying baby last week when she fell asleep over the infant.

The infant named Jarilyse was found unconscious underneath her sister in their fourth-floor apartment in Wakefield section of the Bronx, police said.

The baby`s parents made the horrible discovery when they returned from picking up groceries and food from the market, the `New York Daily News` reported.

The girl was taken to Montefiore Medical Center, where she died about 50 minutes later, the report said.

The couple also has a 12-year-old daughter who was in the apartment at the time of the incident.

A neighbour of the family on Carpenter Avenue saw a distraught man possibly the girl`s father alerting the mother of the infant to the awful news.