Six Al Qaeda men killed in Yemeni air strike
Aden: At least six Al Qaeda militants were killed when their convoy was bombed by Yemeni military helicopters in Yemen`s south-eastern province of Shabwa Tuesday, authorities said.
"Military helicopters struck an Al Qaeda weapon convoy composed of three pick-up trucks in Bayhan region on Shabwa`s outskirts, killing six terrorists at the scene," Xinhua quoted a government official as saying.
An army officer confirmed the incident, saying the fighter jets struck the arms convoy in a remote area linking Shabwa and Marib.
"The targeted convoy was carrying different kinds of weapons and ammunition from Shabwa to Al Qaeda militants in north-eastern province of Marib," the army officer said, adding that the arms cargo was completely destroyed.
The Yemeni army, backed by the US military support, has waged a wide-scale assault against Al Qaeda strong-holds since late April. Territories in Azzan and Mahfad -- two of Al Qaeda`s main bastions -- have been recaptured.
The Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), considered a major threat to the Yemeni government and neighbouring oil-rich Saudi Arabia, has vowed to hit Yemen`s main cities, including capital Sanaa, and has carried out suicide car attacks and roadside bombings across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH