Six Cuban asylum-seekers stuck at Bogota airport
Bogota: Colombia refused to entertain asylum applications from six Cubans who have been stuck in the transit area of Bogota`s international airport since New Year`s Day after a failed attempt to enter Ecuador.
The Foreign Ministry yesterday said the six have not technically entered Colombian territory.
Despite ideological differences, Colombia and Cuba maintain relatively good relations and the communist-led island nation has been hosting peace talks in Havana over the past year between the Bogota government and Colombia`s main leftist rebel group.
All six Cubans arrived on flights from Ecuador`s capital, Quito, after being rejected by that country.
Ecuador does not require visas but since January 2013 has demanded that Cuban visitors obtain formal letters of invitation in advance of their arrival. The requirement was established because so many Cubans were illegally taking up residence in Ecuador.
Avianca Airlines said the six were among 11 Cubans who flew to Quito from Havana via connecting flights through Peru and El Salvador. Five subsequently agreed to return to Cuba.
The Cubans remaining at Bogota`s airport told an Associated Press reporter that they did not want to return to their homeland because they feared persecution.
One of them, Angel Barrios, said he had an Ecuadorean invitation letter but it was rejected and torn up in Quito. An adviser to Ecuador`s Interior Ministry reached in Quito, Camilo Marquez, said he did not have details of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C