Six Cuban asylum-seekers stuck at Bogota airport
Bogota: Colombia refused to entertain asylum applications from six Cubans who have been stuck in the transit area of Bogota`s international airport since New Year`s Day after a failed attempt to enter Ecuador.
The Foreign Ministry yesterday said the six have not technically entered Colombian territory.
Despite ideological differences, Colombia and Cuba maintain relatively good relations and the communist-led island nation has been hosting peace talks in Havana over the past year between the Bogota government and Colombia`s main leftist rebel group.
All six Cubans arrived on flights from Ecuador`s capital, Quito, after being rejected by that country.
Ecuador does not require visas but since January 2013 has demanded that Cuban visitors obtain formal letters of invitation in advance of their arrival. The requirement was established because so many Cubans were illegally taking up residence in Ecuador.
Avianca Airlines said the six were among 11 Cubans who flew to Quito from Havana via connecting flights through Peru and El Salvador. Five subsequently agreed to return to Cuba.
The Cubans remaining at Bogota`s airport told an Associated Press reporter that they did not want to return to their homeland because they feared persecution.
One of them, Angel Barrios, said he had an Ecuadorean invitation letter but it was rejected and torn up in Quito. An adviser to Ecuador`s Interior Ministry reached in Quito, Camilo Marquez, said he did not have details of the case.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Pakistan jumps into Kohinoor controversy, says diamond was gifted to England
- Despite complete ban, four die after consuming spurious liquor in Bihar
- JNU teachers claim 'sex racket, use of drugs, alcohol rampant inside campus'
- These 5 apps are quietly eating up your data plan! Know which ones
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Check out interesting details about mehendi ceremony