Six held for torturing Nigerian women into prostitution
London: Spanish police have busted a ring involved in smuggling of women from Nigeria and forcing them into street prostitution by burning them with irons and using voodoo rituals.
Six people, including one woman believed to be the ringleader, were arrested after one of the women alerted authorities, Daily Mail reported. The gang used to torture the women and scare them with curses to force them on to the streets.
"The control exercised over women was total, involving verbal threats as well as physical violence and various voodoo ceremonies to terrorise them," a police statement said.
"The ring caused them serious injury through bites or by using an iron to cause second-degree burns."
The ring allegedly recruited women in Benin City, a run-down Nigerian port, reported Sky News.
Most of the women were vulnerable struggling to raise children because their husbands or fathers had died. The gang transported the women over land to Morocco. They were further smuggled on to small wooden boats and taken into Spain.
They were forced to work as street prostitutes in Spanish cities of Barcelona and Malaga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested