Six Indian divers dead as rescue op hits tragedy
Dubai: The bodies of eight divers, six of
them Indians, were recovered from the waters of the Persian
Gulf on Sunday, as hopes faded for the remaining five crew
members, three days after their vessel sank.
The Iranian rescue team looking for the missing crew
members had hoped to find some of the divers alive believing
they had some supply of oxygen.
But their efforts were hit by tragedy as they first found
the bodies of six Indians in their diving chamber and later
recovered two more bodies floating in water, IRNA reported.
The Director-General of the Port and Maritime Organisation
of Bushehr province, Mohammad Rastad said the bodies of six
Indian divers have been handed over to relevant authorities.
Search is still on for the remaining five crew members of
the Koosha-1 ship that sunk in stormy seas on Thursday with 73
people onboard. The other 60 had been rescued earlier.
Among the 13 crew members onboard the ship that went
missing, seven were Indians, one was Ukrainian and five were
"Rescue team could find the bodies of six Indian divers
Sunday at 5 confined in oxygen room of the ship (that) sank
Thursday," Rastad was quoted as saying earlier.
The search went on for the entire night following which
the rescuers found the bodies this morning, at a depth of 72
The divers were installing an underwater oil pipeline and
were inside a pressurised diving chamber when their ship sank
in stormy seas, trapping the with limited oxygen supply.
The ship left the offshore oil rigs in the Persian Gulf
and was heading towards Iran`s southern Assaloyeh Port when it
suddenly sank 15 miles away from Assaloyeh.
Some reports attributed a cargo overload for the sinking
of the ship.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!