Six Indian NGOs accorded special consultative status with UN
United Nations: Six Indian non-governmental organisations (NGOs) working for the uplift of women, Dalits and poor have been approved for consultative status with the United Nations.
The approval came by the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, which is a part of the UN`s Economic and Social Council, during the annual ongoing session of the world body panel this week.
NGOs enjoying general and special status can attend meetings of the Council and issue statements.
Prominent among them include Action of Human Movement (AHM), which seeks to help improve living conditions for poor people in rural Tamil Nadu state, and Centre for Community Economics & Development Consultants Society which seeks to empower partner communities, castes and tribes, small and marginal farmers, landless people and Dalits as well as deprived women and children.
Chaithanya Samskarika Vedi Chennayangaloor P.O., which promotes development through financial and other aid to poor people, has also been accorded consultative status by the Committee; so has been to Ekta Welfare Society, a national organisation working for world unity, peace and socio-economic development.
Social & Healthy Action for Rural Empowerment, a national organisation helping underprivileged, disadvantaged people in remote hilly areas of India and International Services Association, that focusses on sustainable health and development for vulnerable communities, have also been accorded special consultative by the Committee on NGOs.
So far the Committee, established in 1946, has accorded special consultative status to more than 3,500 NGOs from across the globe.
It has 19 members who are elected on the basis of equitable geographical representation.
Chaired by Bulgaria, its current members for the period 2011-2014 are Belgium, Burundi, China, Cuba, India, Israel, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, Senegal, Sudan, Turkey, US and Venezuela.
The two-week session of the Committee that began on January 21 concludes on February 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!