Six killed as Canada passenger train, bus collide
Ottawa(Ontario): A double-decker bus collided with a passenger train in Canada`s capital today, ripping off the front of the bus and killing six people, police said.
Witnesses said the bus went through a closed crossing barrier, and passengers said they screamed "Stop, stop!" at the driver just before impact.
Officials said 30 people were injured, 10 critically, at the peak of Ottawa`s morning rush hour. The cause of the crash was not yet clear, said John Manconi with bus operator OC Transpo. Transit union president Craig Watson said the driver was killed.
It was Canada`s second major rail accident this year. It comes after an oil train derailed and exploded in a Quebec town in July, killing 47 people.
Tanner Trepanier who was on the bus, said passengers could see the train bearing down on them as they approached the crossing.
"People started screaming, `Stop, stop!` because they could see the train coming down the track," Trepanier said. Witnesses said the bus plowed through a lowered crossing barrier and into the side of the passing, four-car train.
The locomotive and one passenger car derailed. Via Rail said there were no reports of major injuries to train passengers or crew. Via Rail canceled trains on its Ottawa-Toronto route.
Passenger Gregory Mech said the bus was approaching a train crossing where there is about a 90-degree bend. Mech said he didn`t think the driver noticed that signals were flashing and that the barrier was down.
"The bus actually hit the train dead on," Mech told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. "I could see that there were bodies on the train tracks. It was horrible."
Rebbecca Guilbeault, who was on the bus with her 1-year-old son, said she had put him in a stroller just before the crash and said people piled on top of him.
"I don`t know if the bus driver blacked out. He didn`t slow down, and it just impacted with the train," Guilbeault said. "I`ve seen a few people dead, someone ripped in half." Witness Mark Cogan said the rail barrier was down.
"The train is going through," Cogan said. "And I was just looking around, just watching things happen. And noticed that in the bus lane, the double-decker bus ... I saw him, and he just kept going.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!