Six killed in Kirkuk car bomb blast
Kirkuk: A car bomb exploded in a crowded market place in northern Kirkuk on Monday, killing at least six people and wounding six others, Iraqi police and hospital sources said.
"Many cars were set ablaze and many shops heavily damaged due to the powerful explosion," said police Major General Torhan Abdul-Rahman, deputy police chief for the city.
Violence has dipped sharply in Iraq over the past 18 months but attacks remain common in volatile areas like the oil city of Kirkuk, the northern city of Mosul and in Baghdad.
Kirkuk is one of several flashpoints between Iraq`s Arab-led government in Baghdad and minority Kurds that U.S. officials fear could lead to renewed conflict in Iraq.
Kurds see the city and surrounding province, which lies over one of Iraq`s longest producing oilfields, as their ancestral home and want it wrapped into their semi-autonomous enclave. The city`s Arab and Turkmen populations fiercely oppose those aims.
The tensions between both sides are often exploited by insurgent groups trying to reignite the sectarian warfare that almost tore Iraq apart.
Disagreements over Kirkuk held up the parliamentary passage of a law needed to ensure Iraq`s next general election takes place in January, threatening to delay the vote.
The election law was passed just over a week ago in an emotional session, but has since fallen foul of complaints by Sunni Arab Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi that it doesn`t give Iraqi refugees abroad a voice.
Hashemi has until mid-week to veto the electoral law or let it pass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone