Six militants killed in Russia
Moscow: Six militants, including a senior member of the Kizlyar militant group who was on a wanted list since 2011, have been killed in a special operation in Russia`s volatile Dagestan region, the National Anti-terrorism Committee said.
Magomed Makhmudov and the other militants of the Kizlyar gang were surrounded by security services in a forest near the Kizlyar district.
The insurgents refused to surrender and opened fire with assault rifles and a grenade launcher, injuring three police and four army soldiers, RIA Novosti reported.
Violence is common in Russia`s North Caucasus, especially in the republics of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia, with militants frequently mounting attacks against police officers and government officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains taken to Rajaji Hall for people to pay last respects
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what