Six-nation group ministers to meet on Iran: France
Paris: Foreign ministers from the world
powers of the six-strong contact group on the Iranian nuclear
crisis will meet next week on the sidelines of the UN General
Assembly in New York, France said today.
Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United
States are seeking to engage with Iran over its controversial
nuclear programme, and between them hold the key as to whether
Tehran will face new economic sanctions.
"The foreign ministers of the E3+3 will meet on this
subject in New York next week," French Foreign Ministry
spokesman Bernard Valero said today, using the European
abbreviation for the Iran contact group.
In addition to the ministers` talks, he confirmed France
would take part in an October 1 meeting of officials from the
six, Iranian nuclear negotiator Said Jalili and European Union
foreign policy chief Javier Solana.
Valero said France would have preferred these talks to
have taken place before the UN General Assembly next week, but
was glad that they would be organised as quickly as possible
France has been pushing for a tough line on Iran`s
nuclear programme, which Tehran insists is simply an attempt
to generate electricity but which Western powers suspect
conceals a plan to develop an atomic bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok