Six-nation group ministers to meet on Iran: France
Paris: Foreign ministers from the world
powers of the six-strong contact group on the Iranian nuclear
crisis will meet next week on the sidelines of the UN General
Assembly in New York, France said today.
Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United
States are seeking to engage with Iran over its controversial
nuclear programme, and between them hold the key as to whether
Tehran will face new economic sanctions.
"The foreign ministers of the E3+3 will meet on this
subject in New York next week," French Foreign Ministry
spokesman Bernard Valero said today, using the European
abbreviation for the Iran contact group.
In addition to the ministers` talks, he confirmed France
would take part in an October 1 meeting of officials from the
six, Iranian nuclear negotiator Said Jalili and European Union
foreign policy chief Javier Solana.
Valero said France would have preferred these talks to
have taken place before the UN General Assembly next week, but
was glad that they would be organised as quickly as possible
France has been pushing for a tough line on Iran`s
nuclear programme, which Tehran insists is simply an attempt
to generate electricity but which Western powers suspect
conceals a plan to develop an atomic bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!