Skeleton found in UK car park dig confirmed as English king Richard III
Leicester: Ending months of speculation, scientists on Monday confirmed that the skeleton found beneath a car park here indeed belongs to 15th-century King Richard III, the most notorious monarch in English history.
Scientists led by University of Leicester have confirmed that results of their scientific investigations have determined "beyond reasonable doubt" that the skeleton found last September belongs to Richard III - the last Plantagenet King of England.
The DNA from the bones matched that of descendants of the monarch`s family, scientists said.
"Ladies and gentlemen, it is the academic conclusion of the University of Leicester, that beyond reasonable doubt on the man exhumed is indeed that of Richard II," said lead researcher Richard Buckley at a press conference.
The announcement came 24 hours after an image of the battle-scarred skull of Richard III was released for the first time. Scientists also uncovered the grave site, The Telegraph reported.
The way they found the skeleton suggested the 32-year-old king had been tied when he was buried. There has been extensive damage to the bones, scientists said.
The skeleton had an "unusually slender, almost feminine build for a man" and was aged between the late 20s and early 30s.
Without any "spinal abnormality", the skeleton would have been 5 feet 8 inches high, which was above average height for a medieval male, scientists said.
A total of 10 wounds have been discovered made to the skeleton, eight of which on the skull. The injuries suggest the king may have lost his helmet.
The skeleton was uncovered last autumn amid the historic foundations of a Franciscan Friary in Leicester, beneath a council car park which is overlooked by Leicester Cathedral.
Richard was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, bringing to an end a two-year dynastic struggle known as the Wars of the Roses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened