Skulls found inside teddy bears at Mexico airport
Mexico City: Inspectors discovered two skulls and other human remains hidden inside teddy bears at a Mexico City airport shipping company.
Company employees made the find when they ran the plush bears under an x-ray machine during a routine inspection, the Mexico City public prosecutor`s office said yesterday.
The human remains "appear to have been recently exhumed," the office said in a statement.
Authorities contacted and arrested the man who was mailing the package, who said he bought the skills at a popular downtown Mexico City market.
The man said the skulls "are in demand abroad by people who practice santeria," an Afro-Caribbean syncretic religion.
Santeria, which mixes west African Yoruba traditions with Catholic rites, grew out of the slave trade to the Americas and is practiced in the Caribbean as well as places like Florida and Brazil.
The statement did not say where the teddy bears were being mailed to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown