Skydive instructor, student killed in US jumps
Zephyrhills: An investigation has opened into the weekend deaths of a skydiving instructor and a student, both from Iceland, who died during jumps with a group in Florida, a law enforcement official said.
The two men took part with 20 other people yesterday in skydiving jumps from a plane in Zephyrhills, northeast of Tampa, said Pasco County sheriff`s spokeswoman Melanie Snow.
They were reported missing, touching off an hours-long search yesterday.
Snow said an air-and-ground search was begun when only 20 of the 22 skydivers returned from their jumps late Saturday morning. The bodies were discovered by spotters from the air early last evening in woods south of the Zephyrhills Municipal Airport.
Snow would not comment whether the parachutes of the skydivers had opened, saying that was part of the investigation.
She identified the victims as 41-year-old instructor Orvar Arnarson and 25-year-old student Andrimar Pordarson. No hometowns were given. The men did not take part in a tandem jump but two separate jumps, Snow said without elaborating.
She added that the men were reported missing on their third round of jumps about 10:30 am yesterday and that their bodies were spotted later after search teams scoured a large area, focused mostly south of the municipal airport.
She said the teams were instructed to look for the men and their chutes, one green-and-white and the parachute blue-and gray.
Authorities said the skydivers were part of a jump outing through Skydive City in Zephyrhills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason