Skydiver survives 8,000-foot fall in US
Los Angeles: In a miraculous escape, a seasoned California skydiver survived an 8,000-foot fall with minor injuries and bruises after his parachutes failed and he landed on a patch of soft soil at a vineyard.
Craig Stapleton, 51, who is a 25-year veteran skydiver with over 7,000 jumps under his belt was attempting a complex stunt after jumping from about 8,000 feet when both of his parachutes failed and he went into a three-minute spin, hitting the ground at 48 kmph but survived with minor injuries.
Stapleton, jumped from a plane on March 10 above the vineyards in Lodi, California, with his friend Katie Hanson.
The two were attempting what Stapleton calls a "down plane flag," a flag-release stunt in which their parachutes land on the ground with a flag landing straight up on a lanyard.
The duo started their stunt and at 5,800 feet, about 40 seconds from their exit from the plane Stapleton realised something was wrong with his chute as he was going 145 kmph.
"I was like, `Man, this is like a bad student jump`," he was quoted by the ABC News as saying.
"If you go through gear and get a twist, it`s usually not that big a deal. But with the flag and lanyard, I drug the equipment through the riser group, and it made things malfunction," Stapleton said.
Stapleton went for his auxiliary parachute, which went directly into his main chute, and stayed in there.
"Time slows down," he said. "You can take time and do things. I could see I was running out of time. I got through 1,700 feet and realised my situation hadn`t improved".
In video shot by his other teammate TJ Langren, Stapleton is seen plummeting to earth.
He got saved after landing parallel to the road in a row of grapes, in freshly plowed dirt, which he said was "very soft".
Stapleton`s shoulder was dislocated in the fall, but other than a new bumps and bruises he was fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000