The judicial commission’s Information Secretary Taimoor Azmat made these comments while briefing the media after a session of the commission at the Supreme Court in Islamabad.
Shahzad’s body- bearing signs of torture- was found from a canal in Mandi Bahauddin on May 31, two days after he was abducted in Islamabad.
Shahzad’s colleagues have accused the ISI, which had reportedly threatened Shahzad, of being behind the 40-year-old journalist''s abduction and killing, a charge that the agency has called "baseless."
During the meeting, Justice Saqib Nisar said that all senior journalists, who had been requested to cooperate, must come up with their input.
He said that without their cooperation, it would be impossible for the commission to work effectively.
The journalists, summoned by the judicial commission, requested the court to take their statements in writing at the next meeting, rather than recording them in front of everyone.
The commission approved their request, and assured them that full security would be provided to the witnesses, The Express Tribune reports.
Azmat said that the journalists have been directed to submit their written statements before next session of commission, due to be held on July 18.
Islamabad: The Pakistani judicial commission investigating the murder of journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad has received the call records from his mobile phone, however, the reporter’s laptop is still missing.
First Published: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 11:58