Slain suspect in Copenhagen attacks just got out of prison

The slain gunman behind two deadly shooting attacks in Copenhagen was released from jail just two weeks ago and might have become radicalized there last summer, a source close to the Danish terror investigation said today.

AP Last Updated: Feb 17, 2015, 10:11 AM IST

Copenhagen: The slain gunman behind two deadly shooting attacks in Copenhagen was released from jail just two weeks ago and might have become radicalized there last summer, a source close to the Danish terror investigation said today.

Two Danish sources close to the investigation confirmed to the AP that the slain gunman was named Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because Copenhagen police have not named the gunman, who they said was a 22-year-old Dane.

Several Danish media have already named him.

One source said that El-Hussein had been in pre-trial detention for a long time but was released two weeks ago. He also said the corrections authority had alerted Danish security service PET last year after they noticed worrisome changes in El-Hussein's behavior. He wouldn't elaborate.

The weekend attacks in Copenhagen killed two people and wounded five police officers.

The news about the suspected gunman came as Danes mourned the two victims of the country's first fatal terror attacks in 30 years - and, in an unusual development, some also put flowers at the spot where police killed El-Hussein.

While Danish court today jailed two suspected accomplices of El-Hussein's for 10 days, the prime minister insisted there were no signs the gunman had any links to a wider terror network.