Slovenian town elects their `Obama` for mayor
Ljubljana: An African immigrant was being dubbed the "Slovenian Barack Obama" on Monday, after winning a run-off election at the weekend for the post of mayor in the Adriatic resort of Piran.
Peter Bossman, 54, came to former Yugoslavia in 1977 to study medicine, expecting only to visit.
Instead he made Slovenia his home, married a Croat colleague doctor - with whom he has two daughters - and started a private medical practice.
In Sunday`s local elections he ran for Prime Minister Borut Pahor`s Social Democrats, against the incumbent conservative rival Tomaz Gantar, in Piran.
Responding to Gantar`s criticism that he speaks Slovenian poorly, Bossman said: "Yes, I make mistakes, but so do many Slovenians."
He said his close victory demonstrated the high level of democracy in his adopted country.
Sunday`s run-off vote decided the race for mayors in 74 out of the 208 Slovenian municipalities. The conservative opposition Slovenian Democratic Party of former premier Janez Jansa won the most votes nationwide, but failed to gain control over any of the major cities.
In Ljubljana, the incumbent independent Mayor Zoran Jankovic swept to another term in office after the first round two weeks ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali