Small plane with 4 on board missing in Indonesia
Jakarta: Searchers were hunting on Saturday for a small plane missing on Borneo island with an Australian and three other people on board, Indonesian officials said.
Two rescue helicopters were flying close to the route the Piper PA-31 Navajo aircraft was taking before it lost contact with authorities last morning minutes after takeoff from an airport in the city of Samarinda on Borneo, said the airport`s chief, Rajoki Aritonang.
Aritonang said that satellite images showed the aircraft`s latest position on last afternoon was within the Kutai National Park, about 30 kilometres east of Bontang, a mining town, and that the plane was running critically low on fuel.
Rugged, forested terrain and bad weather prevented 75 rescuers from reaching the site by foot, and no trace of the plane has been found, said Indonesian search and rescue agency spokesman Gagah Prakoso.
The plane was chartered by Elliott Geophysics International, a Perth, Australia-based company, and failed to return from a surveying mission in Bontang.
It was carrying the pilot, two other Indonesians and the company`s Australian owner. They left Samarinda yesterday for a 90-minute flight to survey a coal mining site, Aritonang said.
Air flight is the main source of transportation on Borneo, the world`s third-largest island.
Indonesia, a sprawling archipelagic nation of nearly 240 million, has been plagued by transportation accidents in recent years, from plane and train crashes to ferry sinking. Overcrowding, aging infrastructure and poor safety standards are often to blame.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore