Sniper responsible for 700 shootings held in Germany
Berlin: A 57-year-old truck driver in Germany has confessed he is the mysterious "expressway sniper" responsible for shooting at least 762 other road users, police said.
The Federal Criminal Police (or BKA) said the suspect, known as Michael K, worked as a truck driver in Eifel region in southwest Germany, Xinhua reported.
He was allegedly involved in "weird serial shootings" while driving his truck since 2008, which caused panic on roads across Germany, police said.
A number of firearms of different calibres and 1,300 rounds of ammunition were found in his home during the raid.
The man has confessed to the shootings, federal police president Joerg Ziercke said, calling the case "unique in criminal history".
Despite the high number of shootings, the incidents resulted in no deaths. Two women drivers were seriously wounded, including one who was hit in the throat while driving near Wurzburg in 2009 and the other who lost control of her car to crash into the median barrier.
The motorway shootings remained a mystery to German police since 2008. The reward for clues leading to the arrest of the culprit was raised to as high as 100,000 euros after the shooter changed to weapons with more powerful calibre.
Police later installed hidden roadside cameras with number plate recognition technology.
Police also resorted to ballistic investigation to find out that the shooting could have been fired from inside a truck, indicating that the offender might be a truck driver, according to local broadcaster Suedwestrundfunk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged